Stacking the Shelves is a book blogging meme started by Tynga’s Review, where we share the books we are adding to our shelves, including books we buy in physical store or online, books we borrow from friends or in the library, gifts or ebooks.
English books in Japan are expensive, but I am still accumulating new books here. Oops. I like to buy books from Book Depository, but it usually takes 3 to 4 weeks to reach my mailbox. Amazon Japan is another option, but it’s slightly more expensive.
Here is a list of books I accumulated since I came to Japan (September 2016 – February 2017) and also books I bought in Malaysia during spring break (February 2017)
- Tales of Peculiar by Ransom Riggs (Amazon Japan) *
- 時光電影院 The Rainbow of Time by 幾米 Jimmy Liao (birthday gift from Yan Zhuang)*
- 樓下的房客 The Tenants Downstairs by 九把刀 Giddens (ebooks)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling (Book Depository)*
- A Work in Progress by Connor Franta (Amazon Japan)*
- milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (Amazon Japan)
- 忽遠忽近 So Close Yet So Far by 幾米 Jimmy Liao (Popular Bookstore Avenue K)
- 不換 by 蔡智恆 (Popular Bookstore Avenue K)*
- 你的名字 (君の名は) by 新海誠 (Popular Bookstore Avenue K)
- The Potato Couple by J&Y Production (borrow from Jiayi)
Note: * = favourite
Tales of Peculiar was great. Ransom Riggs never fail to amaze me. Some of my favourite stories were The Girl Who Could Tame Nightmare, The Fork-Tongued Princess, The Woman Who Befriended Ghosts. Highly recommended to all Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children fans.
I was not a big fan of Connor Franta. I wasn’t sure why I decided to pick up his memoir, A Work in Progress. Lovin’ all the photos in his books, also his writings. This book inspired me a lot, can’t wait to get a copy of his new book: Note to Self. Some of my fav chapters were missing out, worth it, creativity, the fault in our scars, the problem with labels, live now worry less, the long road to me, where I find happiness and the decision that changed everything.
I had high expectation for milk and honey by Rupi Kaur. However, I think it was a bit overrated. It focused not only on love and relationship, but also on feminism, trauma and abuse. I thought I would love this book, but I was so disappointed. Kaur’s writing reminded me of Lang Leav’s works too. Maybe poem is not my thing. Hmm…
For Chinese books: 《時光電影院》是彥莊送的生日禮物。《時光電影院》是《星空》之後我很喜歡的作品，這兩本繪本都把我給弄哭了。好想念以前和彥莊一起看電影的時光。
Junkudo Bookstore, Yabacho, Nagoya.
found a bookstore with a wide variety of english books in Nagoya ❤
click here to check out my ratings for each book.
Thanks for reading!