I owned a 16GB iPhone 5. If you’re having a 16GB iPhone too, you might understand my struggle. I wrote about Minimalism on my blog last week, I decided to declutter my iPhone too, because (1) my iPhone always has insufficient storage (2) I spend way too much time with my phone
I watched this video: ‘Minimalist Phone: A KonMari approved-way to tidy up your phone‘ by Tara White recently. In the video, she organised all her apps into just one single folder, and we can access to the apps through the Search function.
Well, I don’t feel comfortable if I sort all my apps into just one folder. I think my smartphone becomes less smart (maybe I’ll challenge myself doing this in future). Instead, I sorted all my apps into 8 folders – Productivity, Social, References, Media, Language, Utilities, Travel and Apple.
Before decluttering my phone, I owned around 75 applications. I had a lot of tracking, fitness and productivity apps.
This is how my iPhone looked before I sorted them into folders. I’ve two pages of applications, and all my social apps could be easily accessed (reason why I’m always clinging on my phone)
This is how my iPhone looked like after I decluttered and organised into folders. I owned 36 apps right now. (so clean and tidy!)
I turned off notifications for most of the apps. As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I unsubscribed to all newsletters, also unfollowed tons of people on social media. This reduce my times spend on social media.
I’ve my Calendar, Photos, Camera and Music on display because these are apps I use everyday.
What’s On My iPhone (August 2016)
- Outlook – I never used Apple’s Mail, don’t like it
- Google Calendar
- Line – only platform to connect with my Japanese family and friends
- Facebook Messenger
- Youtube Studio
- BBC News
- Pocket – read articles offline
- Easy Dict (english dictionary)
- Google Translate
- Dictionary (Japanese dictionary)
- Japanese translator – more accurate than Google translate
- Afterlight – the only photo editing app I owned
- Dollarbird – to track my income and expenses
- Clue – period tracking apps (quite accurate, my monthly reminder!)
- Forest – stay focus
- TodoMovies – movies suggestion and my to-watch & watched lists
- MiFit – my friend bought me a MiBand!
- 1010! – the only games I played, doesn’t require wifi
- Google Maps
- Rail Map Lite
- just a bunch of Apple build in app which I rarely use.
Below are all the apps I removed (and reasons why I removed)
- Startbucks MY – can easily access through website
- GSC Movies – leaving Malaysia soon
- Human – switch to MiFit
- SleepBot – switch to MiFit
- Run Keeper – great apps! but I don’t run on regular basis
- 7 minutes
- Water In
- Up Coffee
- Wunderlist – build in Reminder fits my need
- VSCO Cam
- Line Tsum Tsum – I prefer offline games
- Quiz Up
- Math 42 – highly recommended to math students! deleted because I don’t need it anymore
(not the complete list)
Thanks for reading!